A lot of people complain about how expensive gym membership is and how it’s hard to find time to fit the gym into your daily habits. But having access to a gym is one of the best things you can do for your life. Try to count all the positives of why the gym is so good for you and you will be convinced that it is a price worth paying!
- Motivation. We all know that we need to move more. The recommendation is 150minutes per week. A few trips to the gym a week is all you need, and all you need to pay off that monthly fee. If you don’t use the gym, then you forfeit your money. And money is a pretty good motivator for most of us right? We easily pay our Netflix and Spotify accounts monthly, so why not a gym? Honestly, if you have access to a gym, then you are more likely to be moving more than if you didn’t have it. Plus it’s already set up for you – no maintenance, no need to find a space to roll out your mat, no need to set up the TV – that’s all done. Walk in like royalty and get sweaty straight away!
- Inspiration. Once you enter a gym, you’ll either feel intimidated… or you can be mightily inspired! All those other people who are working hard, sweating off calories, dedicated to looking after their bodies. These are the people you need to be around to get you moving. If you don’t have any friends or family who are convinced they need to look after their bodies, find a buddy at the gym. Gyms are full of people who know that feeling fit and healthy is a serious boost to life.
- Professional Advice. Maybe you like to exercise at home and alone. You’ve got your exercise bike and a set of weights, but do you ever feel sore after a workout or wonder if you’re doing lifts right? Having access to a gym means you have access to professional advice. Personal trainers are there to help you learn proper technique from the start. They can teach you how to use new equipment and they can tailor an exercise program to your needs and goals.
- Variety. One of the biggest reasons why people wane on the exercise enthusiasm is boredom. If you have access to a gym this cannot be your excuse! Most gyms have cardio and weights to begin with. Then you have classes you can join – spin, cardio, yoga, pilates, aerobics, zumba, boxing… the lists can be endless depending on your gym. On top of that, many gyms have access to a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts and other forms of exercises to motivate you and get you moving. A weights section in the gym alone can keep you busy for years on end, trying the different kinds of weights and exercises you can do. Getting your body moving in different patterns keeps up the variety and also spreads out the impact around your body.
- Enjoyment. The immediate effect of working out is a feeling of happiness. The studies are pretty clear on this one. Exercising releases hormones that make us feel good. Going regularly to the gym can help you to deal with the stressors of life and help you to see things more positively. “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” –Henry David Thoreau
- Body Image. Let’s face it. When we look good, we feel good. If we are happy with the body we’re in, we are more confident to move about our day and live with conviction. When you know you are looking after your body well, you can be more on top of other areas of your life.
- Healthier View of Numbers. And while the world might measure beauty by decreasing that number on the scales, gyms help you focus on the increasing numbers on your weights, reps, minutes etc. Use numbers to motivate you and help you set goals, instead of make you feel like you failed.
- Energy. Exercising actually gives you a more energetic return. It doesn’t seem right that something that uses so much energy can actually give you more energy. It’s a little confusing, but everyone can say from their own experience that this is actually true. Get your blood pumping, your muscles moving and your brain activated ready for a jam packed day.
- Looking After Others Better. Looking after yourself actually means you can look after others better. Never feel guilty about going to the gym because if you are fit mentally and physically you are going to be able to function better. And that means the people you love around you benefit from you going to the gym. You are able to do so much more for others if you are fit and strong.
- Health. Your body will thank you for it. The evidence is pretty convincing and it continues to mount on how good regular exercise is for your health. It will lengthen your years. It will make your heart pump stronger. It will make your bones stronger. It will protect your back. It will reduce your risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
So if that doesn’t convince you, come visit us at AJ’s and just ask out members why they love the gym. We guarantee you that they will agree that having access to a gym is so good for their lives, that it’s as vital as their monthly Netflix subscription. Come and ask us about our membership plans today!